Ten Ways to Give
St. Tammany Hospital Foundation accepts donations in many ways from its friends and supporters. Personal and community support is vital to sharing in the hospital’s investment to assure continued quality healthcare for you, your family, neighbors and friends.
There are several opportunities available for supporting the Foundation while providing tax and income benefits to you. To make your gift most effective, carefully consider one of the following:
- Give a Gift of Cash: Gifts of cash, paid outright or pledged over as many as three to five years, provide immediate support for the campaign. Learn more about cash gifts and itemizing your deductions here.
- Transfer Securities: Gifts of long-term, appreciated securities provide the same benefits as cash for the hospital and offer you the additional benefit of paying no capital gains tax. Your contribution is based on the mean value of the stock on the day you transfer the stock to St. Tammany Hospital Foundation. Securities overview, click here.
- Assign Ownership of Real Estate: Real estate has appreciated faster than the rate of inflation and offers great potential as a gift planning opportunity to support the Foundation. Real estate contributed outright, in trust, or through a part gift/part sale arrangement provides a way to avoid or substantially reduced capital gains tax. Read on.
- Grant a Bequest in Your Will: St. Tammany Hospital Foundation will honor your intentions to provide a charitable bequest by giving you full gift recognition credit for the documented value of your bequest. Comprehensive Bequest information.
- Create a Charitable Gift Annuity for Lifetime Income: In exchange for a gift of cash or securities, St. Tammany Hospital Foundation can provide you with income for life through a Charitable Gift Annuity. The annuity rate is based on the age of the annuitant on the day the gift is given. When exchanging appreciated stock for a gift annuity, you incur no immediate capital gains tax on the transfer; part of the annuity payment is tax-free; and you receive an income tax deduction based on the Foundation’s remainder interest in the gift.Get started today!
- Establish a Charitable Remainder Trust: The benefit of creating a charitable trust arrangement that suits your unique circumstances is an income for life or a term of years. You incur no capital gains tax on the transfer of appreciated assets (securities or real estate), and you receive an immediate income tax deduction for part of the gift. Charitable Remainder Trust Benefits.
- Make the Foundation Owner and Beneficiary of a New Insurance Policy: You can make a magnificent commitment to the long-term excellence of St. Tammany Parish Hospital through the purchase of life insurance. Through relatively modest annual gifts, which are used to pay tax deductible premiums on the policy, you can create a far greater gift than might otherwise be possible. More about making the Ultimate Gift.
- Convey Ownership of an Existing Insurance Policy: Many people own insurance policies which are no longer needed for their original purposes. Such policies can be given to St. Tammany Hospital Foundation, and you will be entitled to an income tax deduction for the cash surrender value. Insurance Policy Gifts.
- Provide an Income Stream with a Charitable Lead Trust: You can provide annual payments to St. Tammany Hospital Foundation from a pool of assets, which later will be distributed to your heirs. Known as a Charitable Lead Trust, this plan allows you to direct income payments to St. Tammany Hospital Foundation for a specific number of years. At the end of the trust’s term, assets are transferred to family members at a reduced transfer rate. Read on...
- Sign Over a Personal Residence or Farm with Retained Use: It is possible to transfer ownership of your personal residence or farm to St. Tammany Hospital Foundation while retaining the enjoyment of the property for the remainder of your lifetime. This is an excellent way to support the hospital, receive a current income tax deduction for the property’s discounted value, and continue to use the property for as long as you live. For more about Real Estate Gifts, click here.
Let us help you find your perfect giving opportunity. Contact the Foundation Office today!
The information provided is not intended as legal or financial advice.
Please consult your professional advisors.